Last Updated on February 7, 2021 by Ruchika Gupta
Why to Follow Your Dreams, 2 Simple Yet Most Important Reasons
For most of us, the road to our dreams is long, tedious, heavy, and unpredictable. “Follow your dreams” they all say!
Making it sound as easy as ABC but is it really as it sounds?
As they say,
We are living in tough times, Covid drained us.
Many businesses eroded, relationships failed, marriages broken, economies going down but still holding on to some diminishing light, though so promising.
A life with broken dreams is painful just like a life with a broken heart.
Yes, I had been there. I have seen my brightest dreams turning into nightmares.
Everyone has some dreams and goals to fulfill. But most people do nothing about them. They either don’t know how to get started, or they don’t have enough faith in themselves or their dreams.
Imagine, if there were no dreamers, there would not be any achiever. Most of the achievers we follow were once dreamers who never gave up on their dreams.
And we can look into history, there are many discoveries made in dreams. (I know it’s a different context, but the moral of the story is that these people never stopped dreaming and believing).
There is a whole science behind why you should follow your dreams.
But let’s leave the science behind; there are enough good personal reasons why to follow our dreams.
It is better to risk starving to death than surrender. If you give up on your dreams, what’s left?
Here are the two most important reasons why you should follow your dreams
1. To make your life more worthy and add meaning
Doing something you always wanted to do makes feel life more worthy and meaningful. It gives a new hope every morning when you wake up.
Following your dream is like eating your favorite flavor of ice-cream on a hot sunny day.
Sometimes days may be icy and cold but you would still enjoy it as it’s your favorite flavor.
Do you think you would feel the same with some other flavor you don’t like?
Just like that, life without dreams is tasteless and meaningless.
The entire experience of growing through the process of fulfilling a dream is more rewarding than the end result.
As soon as you start to pursue a dream, your life wakes up and everything has meaning.
Following dreams gives broader purpose to life than just making money. It fuels our passion and keep us motivated.
Managing family life and a career is quite draining. Just after I had born a beautiful bouncing baby, my husband was transferred to the US; I had to leave my thriving career.
I had a good life in the US, a settled house with all luxuries, but where those fulfilling?
Undeniably not, I always felt something missing deep in my heart.
I was shuttered….
I wasn’t different. I felt like I was living a lie. In a cage.
Honestly, I was going crazy until we got back to Australia.
In my struggles, my dreams held me to keep living and having little hope.
2. To feel real happiness
There’s a big difference between being happy and avoiding being sad.
Real happiness comes naturally from inside doing things we want to.
It makes life more fulfilling.
When I was trying to keep myself busy in the US, I was escaping from the reality that my life was falling apart.
I was in the pursuit of happiness which I didn’t get.
Until it finally dawned on me,
Happiness is a choice we make every day.
Life is small; dream big!
Life is too short to not really live it to its full potential.
How to Follow Your Dreams?
More often, we all have ideas on what we want and probably have big and realistic dreams. But unfortunately, we do the absolute reverse of what is required of us. Remember, success is earned.
So how can you get started?
5 steps to start following your dreams
1. Get your destination right
Kiddingly; get the GPS of where you want your dreams to lead you.
2. Figure out “the how to follow your dreams”
Decide on the journey you want to take. You can’t become a Top Rated Writer without consistency. A sleazy writer will say to me “I’ve given my all but I’m not getting results.” But how much is your all?
3. Have big and small goals
Small bricks build a house just like small goals. Grow what matters, one step at a time, and little by little your steps will add up.
4. Find a team with the same dream to walk together
Teamwork is highly recommended in doing this. Watch productive videos, and associate with your dream.
5. Get ready for obstacles along the way
Nobody’s journey is seamless or smooth. We all stumble. We all have setbacks.
It’s just life’s way of saying, “Time to change course.”
The truth is that pain, betrayal, and frustration are just a fact of life.
We believe that our dreams will solve all of our problems without recognizing that they will simply create new variants of the same current problems.
Sometimes they can be worse. But just like a river, dreams have their way.
We are all ordinary people with extraordinary dreams to make things happen.
Look; You can have everything you ever dream about; an expensive car, a good house, a well-paying job, a happy marriage.
Follow your dreams quotes from famous people
Here are inspiration quotes from famous people who never gave up their dreams and will inspire you to pursue your dreams
1. “Dreams are not what you see in sleep, it is the thing which doesn’t let you sleep.”- A.P.J Abdul Kalam
2. “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts.” – Albert Einstein
3. “Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can’t do something themselves, they are going to tell you that you can’t do it. You want something, go get it. Period.” – Will Smith
4. “If you can dream it, you can do it.” –Walt Disney
5. “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”-Walt Disney
6. “Follow your dreams; you may not make money, but will never be poor. Follow other people’s dreams; you can make money but will never be rich.”-Paulo Coelho
7. “20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain
8. “Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. Always be on the lookout for ways to turn a problem into an opportunity for success. Always be on the lookout for ways to nurture your dream.”- Lao Tzu
9. “Whatever money you might have, self-worth really lies in finding out what you do best.”-J.K Rowling
10. “The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams.” – Oprah Winfrey
11. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”-Steve Jobs
Over to you
Have you also felt the same in your life? What was your experience? Were you able to overcome? What steps you took to follow your dreams?
Let me know below in comments. I would love to hear your thoughts.